Abuse

An English friend of mine called Hugh invited me the other day to look at some comments in the blog of a Texan who has strong views about the Transatlantic Alliance. In reply to my friend’s mild observation that WWII began in September 1939 and not December 1942 as had been suggested, the Texan wrote:

I work on USA time… it wasn’t a WORLD WAR until we got involved… I don’t need you to give me ANY damned history lessons… I call it a European war until WE got involved in it, I call it a war where you limey bastards were getting your asses kicked to hell and back too, I call it a war you’d have lost and would still be speaking German today, had it not been for the USA saving your stuffed ass… if you liberal bastards had stopped Hitler in the ’30’s as you should have… But, what the hell, that gutless bullshit is another story isn’t it??... I don’t care WHO knows how much I detest you Brit bastards…

Of course, there was no need for me to assure my friend that poisonous yahoos like this one form a very tiny minority in Texas: he lived in Houston for three years in the 70s and loved it. And, as he said, there are some simpletons in the UK whose ignorance about WWII is just as great as this Texan’s, and who get it confused with WWI, believing that the Americans didn’t join in until it was almost over.

I can’t imagine what the British have done to incur such virulent hatred from a Texan who’s probably never met anyone from over there, but then if you read the blogs of simple guys like this you realise that hatred is their greatest, perhaps their only, pleasure; they need no reason to pour out their illiterate bile on British, French, Mexicans, Hispanics, gays, Democrats, Republicans—nearly everyone in fact. It’s very sad.

No comments: